HomePoliticsZamfara Governor Accuses FG of Secret Talks with Bandits 

Zamfara Governor Accuses FG of Secret Talks with Bandits 

Published on

Zamfara State Governor Dauda Lawal has alleged that some agents of the Federal Government have been holding secret talks with bandits in the state without the knowledge or consent of the state government and the security agencies. He said this has undermined the efforts to end the insecurity and violence that have plagued the state for years.

Lawal made this claim after the release of 16 female students and some staff of the Federal University, Gusau, whom armed men abducted on September 22. He said the abductees were rescued by the Nigerian Army, not by any negotiation with the bandits. He said he has facts and evidence to expose the identities and motives of the federal agents involved in the covert dialogue.

However, The Federal Government denied involvement in negotiations with bandits and accused Lawal of politicizing security matters. The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, said in a statement that federal institutions are empowered by law to act swiftly to rescue citizens taken hostage without disclosing details of such operations. He said no federal government official is engaged in negotiation with any bandit or group of bandits.

Lawal’s allegation has raised questions about the coordination and cooperation between the federal and state governments in tackling the security challenges in Zamfara and other parts of the country. Zamfara has been one of the worst-hit states by banditry, kidnapping, and cattle rustling, which have claimed thousands of lives and displaced millions of people. The state government has tried various measures to restore peace, such as amnesty, dialogue, and military operations, but none has been successful so far.

Lawal said he is determined to end the menace of banditry in Zamfara and bring relief to his people. He said he will continue to work with the security agencies and other stakeholders to achieve this goal. He also called on the federal government to investigate and sanction those who are sabotaging the fight against insecurity in Zamfara.

Source: Business Day

Latest articles

APC Demands Adeleke Resignation Over N13.7 Billion Fraud

APC calls for Ademola Adeleke’s resignation over alleged N13.7 billion payroll fraud as Osun government rejects audit findings and denies wrongdoing.

El-Rufai to Face Court Feb 25 Over Alleged Phone-Hacking Offences

KEY POINTS El-Rufai will be arraigned Feb 25 over alleged unlawful interception of the...

Kaduna Reunites 204 Kidnap Survivors With Families After Rescue and Rehabilitation

KEY POINTS 204 kidnap victims abducted from churches in Kajuru were rescued in stages...

AMAC Election: ADC Candidate Tells Wike “You Can’t Rig Votes Here”

KEY POINTS ADC candidate Dr. Paul Moses warned FCT Minister Nyesom Wike that AMAC...

More like this

APC Demands Adeleke Resignation Over N13.7 Billion Fraud

APC calls for Ademola Adeleke’s resignation over alleged N13.7 billion payroll fraud as Osun government rejects audit findings and denies wrongdoing.

El-Rufai to Face Court Feb 25 Over Alleged Phone-Hacking Offences

KEY POINTS El-Rufai will be arraigned Feb 25 over alleged unlawful interception of the...

Kaduna Reunites 204 Kidnap Survivors With Families After Rescue and Rehabilitation

KEY POINTS 204 kidnap victims abducted from churches in Kajuru were rescued in stages...