HomePoliticsEnugu Government Initiates Closure of Unauthorised Mining Locations.

Enugu Government Initiates Closure of Unauthorised Mining Locations.

Published on

Enugu State Government has intensified efforts to curb illegal mining operations by sealing sites operating without the necessary environmental certifications and mitigation plans.

As part of Governor Peter Mbah’s administration’s crackdown on illicit mining activities, the Enugu State Committee on Mining Activities, established last week, visited several mining locations. The governor had previously banned such activities in June.

Sam Ugwu, Chairman of the committee and the Commissioner for Environment and Climate Change, led an inspection at a mining site in Awhum, Udi Local Government Area, owned by Milhouse Ltd.

Ugwu provided a detailed account of the multiple infractions observed at the mining site. One of the most glaring concerns was the evident environmental degradation, which suggested a lack of adherence to best practices and possibly, long-term consequences for the local ecosystem.

Additionally, the site had engaged in unapproved blasting techniques, a potentially dangerous activity that could jeopardise both the environment and the safety of the workers.

Furthermore, Ugwu shed light on the financial irregularities, pointing out that the company failed to remit staff taxes and pension contributions to the appropriate authorities, even though these amounts had been deducted from the employees’ paychecks. This not only posed a legal issue but also raised concerns about the ethical standards of the company’s management.

He emphasised the Government’s responsibility to oversee mining operations, ensuring the environment and local communities remain protected. Drawing comparisons to the environmental degradation faced by the Niger Delta due to oil exploration, Ugwu stressed that Enugu wouldn’t allow history to repeat itself.

Questioning the mine operators’ claim that their activities commenced in 2022, Ugwu stated that the site appeared to have been operational for over five years. He assured that illegal sites throughout the state would face similar scrutiny.

Additionally, African Pits and Quarries Ltd. was served a notice to halt operations and report to the Government House by Thursday. The notice demanded multiple documents, including licences, environmental permits, and remediation plans, to confirm the legality of their operations.

Akintola Oluwafemi, General Manager at the Awhum site, asserted their compliance with federal regulations and consideration for the environment. The State Government’s oversight will continue with further site inspections.

Latest articles

Atiku says Tinubu ‘cannot govern’ as killings, abductions surge nationwide

Atiku Abubakar condemned President Tinubu over the Ogbomoso school abductions and Katsina killings, declaring that the administration "cannot govern" Nigeria.

Obi emerges sole NDC presidential aspirant for 2027 race

Peter Obi emerged as the sole NDC presidential aspirant after the party closed the sale of its 2027 nomination forms with no other buyer.

Police arrest 6 over phone tip-offs in Oyo school abduction

Oyo police arrested six suspects who allegedly informed bandits via phone calls during the Ahoro-Esiele school abduction that killed three people.

AfDB approves $200m BoI facility to boost Nigeria’s industrial sector

AfDB approved a $200 million facility for Nigeria's Bank of Industry to boost SMEs, manufacturing and green industrialization, with women-led and youth businesses prioritized.

More like this

Atiku says Tinubu ‘cannot govern’ as killings, abductions surge nationwide

Atiku Abubakar condemned President Tinubu over the Ogbomoso school abductions and Katsina killings, declaring that the administration "cannot govern" Nigeria.

Obi emerges sole NDC presidential aspirant for 2027 race

Peter Obi emerged as the sole NDC presidential aspirant after the party closed the sale of its 2027 nomination forms with no other buyer.

Police arrest 6 over phone tip-offs in Oyo school abduction

Oyo police arrested six suspects who allegedly informed bandits via phone calls during the Ahoro-Esiele school abduction that killed three people.