HomeNewsN-Power Beneficiaries to Receive Nine Months’ Back Pay in November

N-Power Beneficiaries to Receive Nine Months’ Back Pay in November

Published on

The Nigerian government has announced that it will start paying the nine months’ arrears of stipends to the beneficiaries of the N-Power program from November.

The N-Power program is a social intervention scheme that provides skills training and employment opportunities to young Nigerians. It was launched in 2016 by President Muhammadu Buhari as part of his administration’s efforts to reduce poverty and unemployment.

According to a statement issued by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation on Monday, the payment of the backlogs was delayed due to the restructuring and forensic audit of the program.

The statement quoted the N-Power National Program Manager, Akindele Egbuwalo, who disclosed this during a meeting with some N-Power beneficiaries at his office in Abuja. Egbuwalo said that the restructuring and audit of the program had led to the recovery of funds from the existing payment service providers. He said that the payments would be made in installments starting from November.

He also said that the N-Power program would be continued as the Renewed Hope Job Creation Program under the supervision of the humanitarian minister. He said that the scheme would be expanded to target five million beneficiaries in five years, where one million youths would be absorbed each year under the graduate and non-graduate stream.

Sani Garba, a beneficiary from Yobe State, who was present at the meeting, said that the main concern of the beneficiaries was the delayed nine months’ stipends. He said that a national protest had been planned by different clusters of N-Power beneficiaries due to inadequate information.

“Sir, as you have clearly explained the current situation of payment to us, myself and other cluster of beneficiaries represented here are assuring you that we have understood your position and taken your assurances, there is no need for any protest,” he said.

The N-Power program has been praised by many as a successful initiative that has empowered millions of Nigerian youths with skills and jobs. However, it has also faced some challenges such as irregular payments, verification issues, and fraud allegations. The government has assured that it is committed to improving the program and ensuring that it delivers on its objectives of creating jobs and reducing poverty.

The beneficiaries have expressed their gratitude to the government for the announcement and hoped that it would be fulfilled as promised. They also appealed to the government to provide them with more opportunities and support to enable them to contribute to the development of the country.

Source: Punch

Latest articles

MTN Agrees $6.2 Billion Deal to Buy IHS Holding

MTN IHS acquisition in a $6.2 billion all-cash deal would delist the tower operator and reshape Africa’s digital infrastructure landscape.

Coleman Seeks N50 Billion in Commercial Paper For Expansion

Coleman commercial paper issuance of N50 billion will fund expansion and fibre optics growth as the Nigerian cable maker returns to debt markets.

Dangote Predicts Naira Could Strengthen to N1,100 This Year

Dangote says a stronger naira could reach N1,100 per dollar this year as import controls and domestic production reshape Nigeria’s currency outlook.

CJN Warns Against Corruption Blanket Allegations

CJN cautions against blanket corruption allegations, insisting claims must be evidence-based as 14 new Federal High Court judges take oath.

More like this

MTN Agrees $6.2 Billion Deal to Buy IHS Holding

MTN IHS acquisition in a $6.2 billion all-cash deal would delist the tower operator and reshape Africa’s digital infrastructure landscape.

Coleman Seeks N50 Billion in Commercial Paper For Expansion

Coleman commercial paper issuance of N50 billion will fund expansion and fibre optics growth as the Nigerian cable maker returns to debt markets.

Dangote Predicts Naira Could Strengthen to N1,100 This Year

Dangote says a stronger naira could reach N1,100 per dollar this year as import controls and domestic production reshape Nigeria’s currency outlook.