HomeNewsFormer Minister Sadiya Umar-Farouq Fails to Appear at EFCC Amid ₦37.1bn Fraud...

Former Minister Sadiya Umar-Farouq Fails to Appear at EFCC Amid ₦37.1bn Fraud Probe

Published on

Sadiya Umar-Farouq, the former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development, snubbed an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) regarding the alleged ₦37.1 billion fraud that occurred during her tenure.

Umar-Farouq’s absence raised concerns as she kept EFCC interrogators waiting for over eight hours on Wednesday without providing an official explanation for her non-attendance.

According to documents seen by Punch, the former minister was scheduled to appear before EFCC investigators at their headquarters in Jabi, Abuja, on January 3, 2024, at 10:00 am, to account for the alleged fraudulent activities that transpired during her time in office.

An anonymous interrogator stated, “We just closed from work now because she didn’t show up today, and it’s 6 pm already. It’s certain that she’s never going to show up today.”

Journalists who had gathered at the EFCC office in anticipation of the former minister’s arrival were met with disappointment.

The EFCC had previously invited Umar-Farouq for questioning in connection with an ongoing investigation into an alleged ₦37.1 billion fraud within the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs.

The invitation stated, “The commission is investigating a case of money laundering involving the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development during your time as Minister. In view of the above, you are requested to kindly report for an interview with the undersigned. Scheduled as follows: Wednesday, January 3, 2024, 10:00 am. This request is made pursuant to Section 38 (I) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (Establishment) Act 2004 and Section 21 of Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011.”

Efforts to reach the ex-minister for comments were unsuccessful, and her former media aide, Nneka Ikem, remained elusive when questioned about the matter.

Latest articles

MTN Agrees $6.2 Billion Deal to Buy IHS Holding

MTN IHS acquisition in a $6.2 billion all-cash deal would delist the tower operator and reshape Africa’s digital infrastructure landscape.

Coleman Seeks N50 Billion in Commercial Paper For Expansion

Coleman commercial paper issuance of N50 billion will fund expansion and fibre optics growth as the Nigerian cable maker returns to debt markets.

Dangote Predicts Naira Could Strengthen to N1,100 This Year

Dangote says a stronger naira could reach N1,100 per dollar this year as import controls and domestic production reshape Nigeria’s currency outlook.

CJN Warns Against Corruption Blanket Allegations

CJN cautions against blanket corruption allegations, insisting claims must be evidence-based as 14 new Federal High Court judges take oath.

More like this

MTN Agrees $6.2 Billion Deal to Buy IHS Holding

MTN IHS acquisition in a $6.2 billion all-cash deal would delist the tower operator and reshape Africa’s digital infrastructure landscape.

Coleman Seeks N50 Billion in Commercial Paper For Expansion

Coleman commercial paper issuance of N50 billion will fund expansion and fibre optics growth as the Nigerian cable maker returns to debt markets.

Dangote Predicts Naira Could Strengthen to N1,100 This Year

Dangote says a stronger naira could reach N1,100 per dollar this year as import controls and domestic production reshape Nigeria’s currency outlook.