HomeNewsAmotekun Nabs Ex-Convict for Drug Peddling, Robbery in Ondo

Amotekun Nabs Ex-Convict for Drug Peddling, Robbery in Ondo

Published on

The Ondo State Security Network Agency, also known as Amotekun Corps, has arrested a 21-year-old ex-convict for his alleged involvement in drug peddling and armed robbery.

The suspect, Simon Matthew, had just completed his one-year prison term on January 1 and was arrested on January 4 by the corps.

According to the Commander of the Corps, Adetunji Adeleye, Matthew was convicted for the same offenses he was arrested for in Akure, the state capital.

“He claimed to be a drug dealer; he had been convicted for drug and robbery activities, and that was exactly what he did again,” Adeleye said.

He added that the corps had also disbanded four robbery gangs and recovered several weapons and motorcycles from them.

 

A Milestone for Security

Adeleye said the arrest of the ex-convict and the other criminals was a milestone for the security outfit, which was established last year to complement the efforts of other security agencies in the state.

He said the corps had been patrolling the 18 local government areas of the state and had prevented many cases of kidnapping, banditry, and farmers-herders clashes.

Based on a report by The Guardian, he also debunked the rumor that the corps had been overwhelmed by the security challenges in the state, saying it was a false and malicious report.

“We are not overwhelmed. We are fully operational in all the local government areas. We have been on 24-hour, 7-day patrol in the last 60 days, and there have been no major cases of security breaches that we have not raised to arrest,” he said.

He said the corps had the support of the state government and the people and would continue to serve and protect them.

 

A Model for Other States

The Ondo State Security Network Agency is one of the first of its kind in Nigeria, following the launch of the Western Nigeria Security Network, popularly known as Operation Amotekun, by the six states in the southwest region.

The initiative was a response to the rising insecurity in the region, especially the cases of kidnapping, banditry, and farmers-herders clashes.

The corps is made up of local hunters, vigilantes, and other volunteers, who are trained and equipped to work with conventional security agencies.

The corps has been praised by many Nigerians as a model for community policing and a solution to the security challenges in the country.

Latest articles

Sterling Financial Completes Share Allotment

Sterling Financial share allotment proceeds after oversubscribed N7.00 public offer draws N117.88 billion in investor demand.

Dangote Commits N1.5 Billion to Bayero University Postgraduate

Dangote Graduate Business Scholarship will provide N1.5 billion in tuition support to MBA and management students at Bayero University Kano.

Tinubu Order May Add N14.6 Trillion to Federation Account

Executive order may add N14.57 trillion to the Federation Account as oil and gas revenues are redirected from PIA deductions.

South-East Resume Monday Trade After Sit-at-Home Ban

Monday sit-at-home ban sparks gradual return of trade and transport in South-East Nigeria, with confidence improving but patronage still subdued.

More like this

Sterling Financial Completes Share Allotment

Sterling Financial share allotment proceeds after oversubscribed N7.00 public offer draws N117.88 billion in investor demand.

Dangote Commits N1.5 Billion to Bayero University Postgraduate

Dangote Graduate Business Scholarship will provide N1.5 billion in tuition support to MBA and management students at Bayero University Kano.

Tinubu Order May Add N14.6 Trillion to Federation Account

Executive order may add N14.57 trillion to the Federation Account as oil and gas revenues are redirected from PIA deductions.