HomePoliticsEdo APC Denies Screening Out Governorship Aspirants

Edo APC Denies Screening Out Governorship Aspirants

Published on

The ruling party in Edo State, the All Progressives Congress (APC), has dismissed reports that it has screened and disqualified some of its governorship aspirants ahead of the primary election.

The party set up a six-member committee led by Julius Ihonvbere, a lawmaker representing Owan Federal Constituency, to advise the aspirants on the need to reduce the number of contenders from 29 to a manageable size.

The committee met with the aspirants last week, after which some media outlets claimed that it had pruned the list of aspirants to 10, then six, and finally four. This caused confusion and resentment among some of the aspirants and their supporters.

However, the state publicity secretary of the APC, Peter Uwadiae, clarified on Tuesday that the Ihonvbere committee was not a screening committee and had no power to disqualify anyone. 

He added that the national working committee (NWC) of the party would set up a committee to screen the aspirants after the close of the sale of nomination and expression of interest forms.

The forms, which cost N10 million and N40 million respectively, are still on sale for anyone who wants to contest for the governorship ticket of the party. Uwadiae said more aspirants were expected to join the race, despite the high cost and the crowded field.

He said many of the aspirants had agreed to abide by the outcome of the primary and work for the party in the general election, regardless of who emerges as the candidate. He said the party was confident of winning the governorship election, scheduled for September 19, 2024.

Peter Uwadiae also urged party members and supporters not to allow the situation to cause division and acrimony among them, which could affect the party’s chances at the polls. He said the party believed in unity, fairness, and democracy.

A leadership crisis has embroiled the APC in Edo State for over a year, after a rift between the incumbent governor, Godwin Obaseki, and his predecessor and national chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole. The feud has polarized the party into two factions, one loyal to Obaseki and the other to Oshiomhole.

The governorship primary of the party is expected to be a fierce contest between Obaseki and other aspirants, some of whom are backed by Oshiomhole. The mode of the primary is also a subject of controversy, as Obaseki prefers a direct primary, while Oshiomhole and his allies favor an indirect primary.

The APC is facing a strong challenge from the main opposition party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), which has also attracted some defectors from the APC. The PDP has yet to announce its governorship candidate, but some of the aspirants include Kenneth Imasuagbon, Gideon Ikhine, and Omoregie Ogbeide-Ihama.

The people sees the Edo State governorship election as a test of the popularity and performance of the APC and Obaseki, as well as the influence and relevance of Oshiomhole and the PDP in the state.

The people of Edo State are hopeful that the election will be free, fair, and peaceful, and that the best candidate will emerge to lead the state to greater heights of development and prosperity.

Source: Punch 

Latest articles

NYSC tells corps members to save beyond allowance

NYSC chief Olakunle Nafiu has urged corps members to save and build extra income streams, warning that poor saving habits persist even on higher pay.

Tinubu says subsidy cabals want him dead

President Bola Tinubu says oil subsidy and exchange rate cabals want him dead, blaming the threat on the reforms he launched after taking office in 2023.

Gowon: Ojukwu frustrated Aburi Accord peace moves

Yakubu Gowon's new memoir accuses late Biafran leader Ojukwu of frustrating the Aburi Accord and every peace effort before Nigeria slid into civil war.

African AI adoption too slow, PwC warns

PwC warns that African AI adoption is too slow to catch the global boom, with firms investing little and few scaling the technology beyond pilots.

More like this

NYSC tells corps members to save beyond allowance

NYSC chief Olakunle Nafiu has urged corps members to save and build extra income streams, warning that poor saving habits persist even on higher pay.

Tinubu says subsidy cabals want him dead

President Bola Tinubu says oil subsidy and exchange rate cabals want him dead, blaming the threat on the reforms he launched after taking office in 2023.

Gowon: Ojukwu frustrated Aburi Accord peace moves

Yakubu Gowon's new memoir accuses late Biafran leader Ojukwu of frustrating the Aburi Accord and every peace effort before Nigeria slid into civil war.