HomeNewsFubara Ready to Re-Present 2025 Budget Amid Assembly Standoff

Fubara Ready to Re-Present 2025 Budget Amid Assembly Standoff

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Governor Fubara says he is ready to re-present the 2025 budget.
  • Assembly officials insist the budget presentation must follow formal procedures.
  • The political standoff continues to delay the budget presentation process.

Rivers State Governor Siminalayi Fubara has declared his readiness to re-present the 2025 state budget to the State House of Assembly, emphasizing that he is prepared to do so whenever the lawmakers are ready to engage.

Fubara expressed his disappointment on Wednesday after being denied entry into the Assembly Complex despite notifying Speaker Martins Amaewhule about his visit.

“I had already informed the Speaker about my visit. I came to re-present the budget as directed by the Supreme Court’s ruling on February 28, 2025.

Also, I still believe they might be instructed later, and if they are, I’m still ready to come any day to get this issue sorted out,” Fubara said.

The governor arrived at the complex alongside top government officials, including the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Tammy Danagogo, and his Chief of Staff, Dr. Edison Ehie.

Fubara accused Speaker Amaewhule of deliberately avoiding him, claiming that his multiple calls were ignored.

However, the House Committee on Publicity Chairman, Hon. Enemi George, dismissed the allegations, insisting that there was no formal communication regarding the budget presentation.

Assembly responds to budget re-presentation controversy

In response to Fubara’s claims, Hon. George clarified that the proper procedure for a budget presentation had not been followed.

He criticized the governor’s informal approach, stressing that communication for such an important event should be formal and well-documented.

“I have been in the Assembly for three terms now. I know the procedure for an event as significant as a budget presentation.

You don’t just send a message to the Speaker on WhatsApp and think you have communicated with the House,” George said in a phone interview.

He further explained that after the main Assembly Complex on Moscow Road was destroyed in 2023, lawmakers have been holding their sittings at the Assembly Quarters.

According to Vanguard, he noted that the gate of the old complex is always locked as people now reside there.

“The Governor was on his way to Ogoni to commission a project and decided to stop over at the Assembly. It is not true that he was locked out. This is very embarrassing,” George added.

Lawmakers insist on proper protocol for budget presentation

George emphasized that the re-presentation of the budget must adhere to institutional procedures, including submitting a formal letter and ensuring that both the Speaker and Clerk are officially robed for the event.

“Budget presentation is a significant event where the Speaker and the Clerk must be properly robed. A formal letter must be documented through the legislative institution. It is not just about the Speaker; it is about the entire House,” he explained.

The ongoing tension between the Rivers State executive and legislative arms continues to heighten, with the governor’s recent experience adding to the political standoff.

Observers have noted that the strained relationship between Fubara and the House could affect governance in the state, particularly with the budget presentation facing delays.

Both parties are being urged to set aside their differences and prioritize the needs of the people.

For now, Fubara maintains his willingness to re-present the budget, signaling his commitment to resolving the impasse. “Whenever they are ready, I will be there,” the governor reiterated.

Latest articles

Sterling Financial Completes Share Allotment

Sterling Financial share allotment proceeds after oversubscribed N7.00 public offer draws N117.88 billion in investor demand.

Dangote Commits N1.5 Billion to Bayero University Postgraduate

Dangote Graduate Business Scholarship will provide N1.5 billion in tuition support to MBA and management students at Bayero University Kano.

Tinubu Order May Add N14.6 Trillion to Federation Account

Executive order may add N14.57 trillion to the Federation Account as oil and gas revenues are redirected from PIA deductions.

South-East Resume Monday Trade After Sit-at-Home Ban

Monday sit-at-home ban sparks gradual return of trade and transport in South-East Nigeria, with confidence improving but patronage still subdued.

More like this

Sterling Financial Completes Share Allotment

Sterling Financial share allotment proceeds after oversubscribed N7.00 public offer draws N117.88 billion in investor demand.

Dangote Commits N1.5 Billion to Bayero University Postgraduate

Dangote Graduate Business Scholarship will provide N1.5 billion in tuition support to MBA and management students at Bayero University Kano.

Tinubu Order May Add N14.6 Trillion to Federation Account

Executive order may add N14.57 trillion to the Federation Account as oil and gas revenues are redirected from PIA deductions.