HomeNewsOver ₦10 Million Raised to Relocate Quadri Alabi After Arrest

Over ₦10 Million Raised to Relocate Quadri Alabi After Arrest

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Police falsely claimed Alabi was 18 to prosecute him as an adult.

  • Over ₦10 million was raised to relocate Alabi and support his family.

  • Effiong says the area boys and police framed Alabi over Peter Obi’s donations.


Human rights lawyer Inibehe Effiong has revealed that over ₦10 million has been raised in just four days for Quadri Alabi. He alleges that the police falsely claimed Alabi was 18 years old to prosecute him in court, even though he is only 17.

Effiong revealed this during an interview on Monday with Channels Television, where he and Alabi were both guests.

Alabi was arrested and charged in connection with a violent street fight in the Amukoko area of Lagos earlier this year.

However, Magistrate Adetola Olorunfemi later freed him following legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Dr. Babajide Martins.

Speaking on national television, Effiong explained that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Amukoko Division subjected Alabi to an internal police trial, along with Inspector Odigbe Samuel and other officers.

He described their actions as part of an “evil, sinister, oppressive, and corrupt scheme” to frame a teenager for armed robbery, instigated by rogue ‘area boys.’

Viral moment with Peter Obi sparked fame and harassment

According to Effiong: “The boy sitting next to me, Quadri Alabi, as you know, went viral in 2023 during one of Peter Obi’s campaign tours.

He spontaneously jumped before the convoy, raised his hand, and the photo went viral. That moment changed his life.

Donations were made, and he gained some popularity. Unfortunately, with that fame came harassment. Local area boys began extorting him, saying he had not ‘settled’ them.

They even told his mother to buy a cow, cook rice, and throw a feast for the community. When she refused, the threats continued.

This is the second time these same individuals, with support from the Amukoko Police, targeted him. The first time, he was quietly detained.

The second time, in January, he was returning home from work when he was arrested by area boys, specifically known as Leggy and Baba Waris, who accused him of ignoring them despite the money he had received from Peter Obi.

They handed him over to the police, claiming he was involved in a street fight. His mother was told the same. She even confronted one of the area boys, who admitted it was about the money,” Vanguard reported.

Alabi recounts his arrest and donation aims to support his family

“Shockingly, he was detained for a full week before being taken to court on January 27.

The DPO, CSP Ismaila Ulaniro, kept him in custody illegally during this period,” Effiong continued. “They finally took him to the Magistrate Court in Apapa, alongside four adult men he had never met before.

The police accused them of armed robbery, said to have occurred on January 22 at 10 p.m. No identification parade was conducted, and there was no evidence linking him to the crime.”

On the issue of age falsification, Effiong said: “The police falsely claimed he was 18 in court documents. Why? Because if they had said he was 17, the court would have treated the matter differently—possibly not even remanding him in a regular prison.

The magistrate noted this during the hearing but said the only information provided showed him as 18, so she had no reason to question it.”

Alabi himself recounted the experience: “I was just at the entrance of my house when the police came and arrested me. The area boys pointed me out. At the station, I was the youngest there. I was locked up with older men.

They asked me what I did, and I said nothing. Before the arrest, the area boys had already taken my phone and the money in my pocket.”

Regarding the donations, Effiong added: “I can confirm that we have raised over ₦10 million in just four days for Quadri.

The goal is to relocate him from Amukoko and to secure a source of income for his mother, who is a petty trader.

This shows the strength of the Nigerian spirit.”

Latest articles

Family Seeks Justice in Death Linked to Governor’s Guards

Family accuses Cross River governor’s security aides of brutality in alleged killing, sparking outrage and demands for an independent investigation.

UK Blocks Over 100 Occupations From Foreign Hiring to Cut Migration

The UK bans 100 occupations from foreign recruitment in a major migration shift critics fear could deepen labour shortages

Wema Bank Rally Lifts Adebutu’s Stake to $90 Million

Kessington Adebutu’s stake in Wema Bank has risen to almost $90 million as the bank’s shares rally 147% in 2025, driven by digital banking growth.

Nigeria’s Grazing Conflicts Take 2,800 Lives in 5 Years

Open grazing conflicts in Nigeria killed 2,800 in five years as weak laws and poor enforcement fuel violence and displacement.

More like this

Family Seeks Justice in Death Linked to Governor’s Guards

Family accuses Cross River governor’s security aides of brutality in alleged killing, sparking outrage and demands for an independent investigation.

UK Blocks Over 100 Occupations From Foreign Hiring to Cut Migration

The UK bans 100 occupations from foreign recruitment in a major migration shift critics fear could deepen labour shortages

Wema Bank Rally Lifts Adebutu’s Stake to $90 Million

Kessington Adebutu’s stake in Wema Bank has risen to almost $90 million as the bank’s shares rally 147% in 2025, driven by digital banking growth.