HomeCultureSSS Sues Pat Utomi Over Alleged Plan to Form Shadow Government

SSS Sues Pat Utomi Over Alleged Plan to Form Shadow Government

Published on


Key Points


  • SSS sues Pat Utomi for forming an unconstitutional shadow cabinet.

  • The agency says the plan threatens national unity and security.

  • The court is yet to assign a judge to hear the case.


Nigeria’s Department of State Services (SSS) has filed a lawsuit against political economist and former presidential candidate Professor Pat Utomi.

The agency accused him of attempting to establish a “shadow government,” which it says threatens Nigeria’s constitutional order.

The SSS filed the suit on May 13 at the Federal High Court in Abuja. Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Akinlolu Kehinde, submitted the case on the agency’s behalf.

The court has yet to assign a judge to the case, which is marked FHC/ABJ/CS/937/2025.

Importantly, the SSS named Utomi as the sole defendant in the case.

SSS Alleges Threat to National Stability

According to the SSS, Utomi’s proposed shadow government lacks legal foundation. The agency claimed that Utomi’s statements and actions aim to undermine the elected government and confuse the public.

Moreover, the SSS insisted that such a move could incite political unrest and inspire separatist movements.

These activities, it warned, could severely damage national unity and public trust in democratic institutions.

In addition, the agency warned that a parallel authority would erode confidence in government. It could also mislead citizens into believing there is an alternative administration.

SSS Cites Constitutional Violations

The SSS argued that Utomi’s actions violate several sections of the 1999 Constitution, specifically Sections 1(1), 1(2), and 14(2)(a).

These sections emphasize the Constitution’s supremacy, prohibit any unauthorized form of government, and affirm that sovereignty belongs to the people.

Furthermore, the SSS requested the court to declare the “shadow cabinet” illegal. It wants the court to issue a perpetual injunction stopping Utomi and his associates from creating or operating any parallel government structure.

Shadow Cabinet Already Announced

Despite warnings, Utomi reportedly moved forward. Through public statements and social media, he announced the formation of a shadow cabinet.

He assigned key figures to various roles, including Dele Farotimi for Good Governance, and Cheta Nwanze, Halima Ahmed, and others for policy delivery and economic advisory.

The SSS said these appointments misrepresent authority. They could also confuse citizens and spark dissent, especially during sensitive political periods.

The agency confirmed it had monitored Utomi’s activities using both intelligence reports and public channels. It believes his behavior poses an immediate threat to Nigeria’s constitutional democracy.

Government Tried to Intervene

The federal government previously attempted to dissuade Utomi. Officials, including the Minister of Information, made public appeals urging him to stop. Nevertheless, the professor reportedly ignored these warnings.

Because of this defiance, the SSS asked the court to act urgently. It wants legal confirmation that the proposed shadow government is unconstitutional, illegal, and a risk to national security.

What Happens Next?

Although the case is now before the Federal High Court, no judge has taken it up yet. However, the SSS maintains that swift judicial intervention is necessary.

The agency insists that Utomi’s actions challenge not just the presidency but the very foundation of Nigerian governance.

Latest articles

Family Seeks Justice in Death Linked to Governor’s Guards

Family accuses Cross River governor’s security aides of brutality in alleged killing, sparking outrage and demands for an independent investigation.

UK Blocks Over 100 Occupations From Foreign Hiring to Cut Migration

The UK bans 100 occupations from foreign recruitment in a major migration shift critics fear could deepen labour shortages

Wema Bank Rally Lifts Adebutu’s Stake to $90 Million

Kessington Adebutu’s stake in Wema Bank has risen to almost $90 million as the bank’s shares rally 147% in 2025, driven by digital banking growth.

Nigeria’s Grazing Conflicts Take 2,800 Lives in 5 Years

Open grazing conflicts in Nigeria killed 2,800 in five years as weak laws and poor enforcement fuel violence and displacement.

More like this

Family Seeks Justice in Death Linked to Governor’s Guards

Family accuses Cross River governor’s security aides of brutality in alleged killing, sparking outrage and demands for an independent investigation.

UK Blocks Over 100 Occupations From Foreign Hiring to Cut Migration

The UK bans 100 occupations from foreign recruitment in a major migration shift critics fear could deepen labour shortages

Wema Bank Rally Lifts Adebutu’s Stake to $90 Million

Kessington Adebutu’s stake in Wema Bank has risen to almost $90 million as the bank’s shares rally 147% in 2025, driven by digital banking growth.