HomeNewsSunday Igboho Seeks FG Approval to Launch South-West Security Network Against Kidnappers

Sunday Igboho Seeks FG Approval to Launch South-West Security Network Against Kidnappers

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Sunday Igboho urged the Federal Government and South-West governors to approve the launch of the Iru Ekun Security Network.
  • He said the security outfit is prepared to confront kidnappers, bandits and criminal gangs operating in South-West forests.
  • His call followed the abduction of pupils and the killing of teacher Michael Oyedokun during attacks on schools in Oyo State.

Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has called on the Federal Government and South-West governors to urgently approve the operations of the proposed Iru Ekun Security Network to combat rising insecurity across the region.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Igboho sympathised with the families affected by the recent attacks on schools in Oyo State, where gunmen abducted pupils and killed a teacher.

Igboho said all necessary arrangements had been completed for the takeoff of the security network, which he described as a strategic force designed to flush out kidnappers, bandits and rogue herders from forests across Yorubaland.

According to him, the outfit is only waiting for official approval from the Federal Government, South-West governors and security agencies, including the Police, Department of State Services and the Nigerian Army.

“I’m only awaiting the approval of the government to tackle growing insecurity ravaging the South-West headlong,” he stated.

He added that the security network had already mapped out operational strategies to confront criminal gangs terrorising communities in the South-West and parts of Kwara State.

Concern Over Rising Attacks in Rural Communities

Igboho described the recent attacks in Ahoro-Esiele and surrounding communities as disturbing and unfortunate, especially considering the trauma experienced by victims and their families.

He stressed that rural communities had become the major targets of kidnappers and armed gangs, warning that authorities must stop delaying decisive actions against the criminals.

“We are battle-ready with our men to storm these forests and flush out marauders who have made lives miserable for our people,” he said.

He also urged traditional rulers in the South-West to intervene by pressing government authorities to speed up approval for the security outfit.

The activist’s comments followed coordinated attacks on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and L.A. Primary School in Esiele, Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

Gunmen reportedly abducted several pupils and staff members during the attacks carried out on Friday morning.

One of the victims, identified as mathematics teacher Michael Oyedokun, was later reportedly beheaded by the kidnappers, worsening fears and outrage over insecurity in the region.

Latest articles

Dangote unveils multi-billion-dollar Olokola deep seaport on 10,000 hectares

Aliko Dangote's group has begun preliminary work on a 10,000-hectare deep seaport at Olokola, targeting exports, fertilizer shipments and Atlantic trade.

Lagos APC Aspirant Samuel Ajose Withdraws from Governorship Race, Endorses Hamzat

KEY POINTS APC chieftain Samuel Ajose withdrew from the Lagos governorship race and endorsed...

EFCC Arrests Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After 75-Year Jail Sentence

KEY POINTS EFCC has arrested former Power Minister Saleh Mamman in Kano, days after...

Makinde-backed PDP Faction Picks Jonathan as Sole Presidential Candidate

KEY POINTS A PDP faction backed by Seyi Makinde has adopted former President Goodluck...

More like this

Dangote unveils multi-billion-dollar Olokola deep seaport on 10,000 hectares

Aliko Dangote's group has begun preliminary work on a 10,000-hectare deep seaport at Olokola, targeting exports, fertilizer shipments and Atlantic trade.

Lagos APC Aspirant Samuel Ajose Withdraws from Governorship Race, Endorses Hamzat

KEY POINTS APC chieftain Samuel Ajose withdrew from the Lagos governorship race and endorsed...

EFCC Arrests Convicted Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After 75-Year Jail Sentence

KEY POINTS EFCC has arrested former Power Minister Saleh Mamman in Kano, days after...