HomeNewsEight Soldiers Killed in Kaduna Ambush by Suspected ‘Repentant’ Bandits

Eight Soldiers Killed in Kaduna Ambush by Suspected ‘Repentant’ Bandits

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Eight soldiers were reportedly killed in an ambush by suspected “repentant” bandits in Kaduna State.
  • The attack occurred during an operation to prevent bandits from attacking communities in Chikun and Igabi LGAs.
  • The incident has reignited criticism of government amnesty and rehabilitation programmes for former bandits.

Eight Nigerian soldiers were reportedly killed in an ambush by suspected “repentant” bandits in Kaduna State on Monday. According to a relative of one of the deceased soldiers, the attack occurred while troops were responding to intelligence about bandits allegedly moving to attack communities located along the Kaduna River between Chikun and Igabi Local Government Areas.

The source said families of the fallen soldiers are still mourning and are yet to receive official communication from military authorities regarding the incident.

Sources familiar with the incident said the troops came into contact with the armed group while attempting to prevent an attack on nearby communities.

The confrontation reportedly resulted in the death of one officer and seven soldiers. The source further revealed that the same group of bandits had allegedly carried out another ambush about a week earlier in Kaduna, killing a soldier and seriously injuring a military commander who is currently receiving treatment.

Attack Raises Questions Over Amnesty Programme

The latest attack has renewed concerns about the effectiveness of government-led reconciliation and rehabilitation programmes for bandits.

Critics have long questioned the policy of granting amnesty and reintegrating former bandits and terrorists into society, arguing that some beneficiaries may return to criminal activities or assist active insurgent groups. The incident has also intensified debates over the safety of communities in Kaduna and the broader strategy for addressing insecurity in Nigeria’s north-west region.

Security analysts and civil society groups have repeatedly expressed concerns that rehabilitation programmes often fail to adequately address accountability for crimes committed by bandits and terrorists.

Many Nigerians believe victims, displaced persons and families of slain security personnel have not received sufficient justice. The latest killings are likely to fuel calls for a review of current security strategies and stronger measures against armed groups operating across the region.

Latest articles

Gunfire Erupts as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

KEY POINTS Suspected hoodlums attacked Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy after his visit to the...

Inmate Escapes from Maximum Security Custodial Centre in Maiduguri

KEY POINTS Inmate escapes from Maiduguri maximum-security prison. NCoS identifies him as “JOHN ISEARL”. ...

Man Threatens to Destroy Communities on Niger-Kebbi Boundary

KEY POINTS Man threatens to destroy Niger-Kebbi border communities. He warns residents against farming...

83 Nigerians to Return Home from South Africa Amid Rising Xenophobic Attacks

KEY POINTS 83 Nigerians are expected to arrive in Lagos from South Africa on...

More like this

Gunfire Erupts as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

KEY POINTS Suspected hoodlums attacked Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy after his visit to the...

Inmate Escapes from Maximum Security Custodial Centre in Maiduguri

KEY POINTS Inmate escapes from Maiduguri maximum-security prison. NCoS identifies him as “JOHN ISEARL”. ...

Man Threatens to Destroy Communities on Niger-Kebbi Boundary

KEY POINTS Man threatens to destroy Niger-Kebbi border communities. He warns residents against farming...