HomeNewsBandits Attack Kogi School, Kill Three During WAEC Exam

Bandits Attack Kogi School, Kill Three During WAEC Exam

Published on


KEY POINTS


• Armed bandits invaded a secondary school in Kogi State during a WAEC examination, killing three people and disrupting the exercise.

• Security operatives engaged the attackers in a gun battle, preventing what authorities described as a possible mass abduction of students.

• One bandit was killed during the operation, while security forces launched a manhunt to apprehend the fleeing attackers.


Panic erupted in Iluke Bunu, a community in Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area of Kogi State, on Wednesday after heavily armed bandits stormed a secondary school and disrupted an ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examination, WASSCE.

The attackers reportedly invaded Government Secondary School, Iluke Bunu, in large numbers, creating fear among students, teachers and residents. The incident occurred while candidates were writing their examination, raising fresh concerns about the safety of schools across the country.

According to the Kogi State Police Command, the attackers were believed to have intended to abduct students and other residents of the community before security operatives intervened.

The attack left three people dead, including a school administrator, an elderly resident and a young child.

The victims were identified as Mr. Ganiyu Anifowose, Vice Principal of UBE Secondary/Primary School, Iluke; Mr. Sunday Jacob Alhassan, a 70-year-old resident; and six-year-old Sunday Ayele. Authorities described the deaths as tragic and extended condolences to the affected families.

Security Forces Foil Suspected Mass Abduction

The Kogi State Police Command said it received a distress call at about 10am. reporting that a large group of armed bandits riding approximately 40 motorcycles had invaded the community.

Following the alert, the Divisional Police Officer of Kabba ‘A’ Division immediately mobilised officers, Police Mobile Force personnel and tactical operatives to the scene.

Military personnel already stationed in the area, alongside local vigilantes and hunters, were also deployed to confront the attackers.

The combined security team engaged the bandits in a fierce gun battle, forcing them to abandon their plans and retreat into nearby forests.

Kogi State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, disclosed that reports available to the government indicated that the attackers had already begun moving some students toward the bush when security operatives intervened.

According to him, the swift response of security agencies prevented what could have become a devastating mass kidnapping.

Despite reports suggesting students may have been abducted during the attack, the police said preliminary investigations had not established any successful mass abduction.

The command stated that ongoing investigations and assessments would determine the full extent of the incident and verify all claims surrounding the attack.

Authorities noted that there was currently no conclusive evidence that students or community residents were successfully taken away by the attackers.

Latest articles

Adeleke Wins Osun Governorship Election by 66,252 Votes

KEY POINTS Ademola Adeleke won the Osun governorship election with 511,067 votes, defeating APC’s...

Bandits Attack Sokoto Communities, Displace Women and Children, Rustle Over 300 Cattle

KEY POINTS Suspected bandits attacked Ungushi, Gwandi and Maikurfuna in Kebbe LGA, forcing women,...

NDLEA Arrests 70-Year-Old Man, Seizes Millions of Opioids in Multi-State Drug Crackdown

KEY POINTS NDLEA arrested a 70-year-old man and several others during coordinated anti-drug operations...

Atiku Sues Tinubu, Seeks His Disqualification from 2027 Presidential Election

KEY POINTS Atiku and the ADC have sued Tinubu over alleged NYSC certificate forgery...

More like this

Adeleke Wins Osun Governorship Election by 66,252 Votes

KEY POINTS Ademola Adeleke won the Osun governorship election with 511,067 votes, defeating APC’s...

Bandits Attack Sokoto Communities, Displace Women and Children, Rustle Over 300 Cattle

KEY POINTS Suspected bandits attacked Ungushi, Gwandi and Maikurfuna in Kebbe LGA, forcing women,...

NDLEA Arrests 70-Year-Old Man, Seizes Millions of Opioids in Multi-State Drug Crackdown

KEY POINTS NDLEA arrested a 70-year-old man and several others during coordinated anti-drug operations...