HomeNewsGunfire Erupts as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

Gunfire Erupts as Hoodlums Attack Governor Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Suspected hoodlums attacked Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy after his visit to the Ataoja of Osogbo’s palace, triggering 12–15 minutes of gunfire.
  • The attackers reportedly arrived in an unregistered Sienna bus, damaged the palace gate and exchanged gunfire with the governor’s security personnel before fleeing.
  • The Osun Government confirmed the attack and said Adeleke’s security team repelled the assailants, with no casualties initially reported.

Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday launched an attack on the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The incident, which occurred in Osogbo, the state capital, triggered a prolonged exchange of gunfire between the suspected attackers and the governor’s security personnel, sending residents, traders and other people in the area fleeing for safety.

Adeleke had arrived at the palace at about 3:15 pm in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after visiting the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission in Osogbo.

The governor had earlier received his Certificate of Return from INEC following his re-election and subsequently proceeded to the Ataoja’s palace, where he met with the traditional ruler.

According to an eyewitness, Adeleke presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch during the visit. The meeting reportedly ended after prayers were offered by the traditional ruler.

The governor subsequently left the palace hall through an exit traditionally reserved for the monarch and his wives before entering a vehicle with some of his aides. It was shortly afterwards that heavy gunfire was heard around the palace.

Hoodlums Arrive in Sienna Bus

An eyewitness said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.

The assailants reportedly opened fire around the palace, prompting the governor’s security team to respond.

The exchange of gunfire lasted between 12 and 15 minutes, according to witnesses. The attackers eventually retreated from the area after being engaged by the security personnel attached to the governor’s convoy.

Another trader in the vicinity, identified as Munirat, said the attackers may have known about Adeleke’s scheduled visit and positioned themselves around the palace before his arrival.

She claimed the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards the entrance before security operatives pushed them back.

The gun battle created panic among residents and traders around the palace.

Businesses were reportedly abandoned as people ran for cover, leaving traders’ goods behind while the shooting continued.

The attackers were also said to have engaged the governor’s security team around the Osogbo Central Mosque before fleeing towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.

The incident caused significant disruption in the area, with several business owners hurriedly closing their shops amid fears that the violence could escalate.

As of about 4:45 pm, when a correspondent left the area, sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard in parts of the vicinity.

The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed that the governor’s convoy had been attacked.

Alimi described the attackers as hoodlums and said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled them.

He also said there were no casualties in the attack, although the incident raised concerns over security around the governor and other government officials.

The commissioner did not immediately provide further details on the identity or motive of the attackers.

Latest articles

Inmate Escapes from Maximum Security Custodial Centre in Maiduguri

KEY POINTS Inmate escapes from Maiduguri maximum-security prison. NCoS identifies him as “JOHN ISEARL”. ...

Man Threatens to Destroy Communities on Niger-Kebbi Boundary

KEY POINTS Man threatens to destroy Niger-Kebbi border communities. He warns residents against farming...

83 Nigerians to Return Home from South Africa Amid Rising Xenophobic Attacks

KEY POINTS 83 Nigerians are expected to arrive in Lagos from South Africa on...

Influencer Arrested Over Alleged $28m Cocaine Shipment Bound for UK

KEY POINTS NDLEA seized 184.5kg of cocaine valued at nearly $28m. Influencer “KC Luxury”...

More like this

Inmate Escapes from Maximum Security Custodial Centre in Maiduguri

KEY POINTS Inmate escapes from Maiduguri maximum-security prison. NCoS identifies him as “JOHN ISEARL”. ...

Man Threatens to Destroy Communities on Niger-Kebbi Boundary

KEY POINTS Man threatens to destroy Niger-Kebbi border communities. He warns residents against farming...

83 Nigerians to Return Home from South Africa Amid Rising Xenophobic Attacks

KEY POINTS 83 Nigerians are expected to arrive in Lagos from South Africa on...