HomeNewsOkpebholo Visits Kano Families of Victims Killed in Edo Attack

Okpebholo Visits Kano Families of Victims Killed in Edo Attack

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Governor Okpebholo offers condolences to Kano families.
  • 14 suspects arrested in connection with the Uromi killings.
  • Leaders emphasize unity and peace between Kano and Edo communities.

Edo State Governor Senator Monday Okpebholo visited the families of victims killed in a brutal attack in Uromi, Edo State.

On Monday, he arrived in Kano to extend his condolences to the bereaved families, many of whom are from the Bankure Local Government Area in Kano State.

According to the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Fred Itua, the victims were returning from Port Harcourt when the tragedy occurred.

Okpebholo expressed his heartfelt sympathy and assured the families and people of Kano State that justice would be served. “I was deeply moved when I heard of the incident.

By 4 a.m., I rushed to Uromi to meet with the affected families. Your support during my campaign will never be forgotten, and I stand with you in this time of grief,” Okpebholo said.

Progress in the investigation: 14 suspects arrested

The Edo governor emphasized that progress had been made in the investigation, noting that 14 suspects had been arrested.

He assured the families and people of Kano that after the holiday season, the suspects would be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation. “President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is also concerned about the incident and has ordered the security agencies to pursue the perpetrators,” Okpebholo stated.

The governor reiterated his commitment to ensuring that the perpetrators would face justice, adding, “More arrests will follow as investigations continue.”

Okpebholo’s swift action in visiting the victims’ families and taking steps toward justice was widely appreciated.

Kano governor thanks Okpebholo for swift support

Kano State Governor commended Okpebholo for his prompt response to the tragedy. “We appreciate the Governor of Edo State for his swift intervention and support to the families,” he said.

He went on to explain that most of the victims came from two local government areas in Kano State. The governor also praised the people of Uromi for rescuing victims from the attackers and ensuring their proper burial.

In addition, the governor of Kano emphasized that justice was a priority, and that both communities must stay united.

“The people of Kano are peaceful, and this tragic event should not cause division between our states,” he stated. “We are grateful for the leadership shown by Governor Okpebholo.”

Communities reaffirm bond despite tragedy

According to Punch, Badamasi Saleh, representing the Arewa community in Edo State, echoed the sentiment of unity, emphasizing that the tragedy should not tarnish the reputation of the state.

“This incident should not be used to create division. The people of Uromi did an excellent job by rescuing the victims,” he said.

Fred Akhigbe, the leader of the Edo community in Kano, also expressed gratitude for Okpebholo’s visit and reiterated the importance of unity between both states. “This tragedy will not change our bond,” Akhigbe said. He urged both communities to maintain peace and avoid conflict.

Latest articles

Gender Concerns Grow Over Tinubu’s NNPC Board with One Woman

Tinubu’s NNPC board appointment sparks gender concerns with only one woman on the list. Advocates call for better gender balance in leadership.

Aliko Dangote Tops Forbes 2025 List of Africa’s Richest People

Forbes 2025 reveals Africa’s richest people, with Aliko Dangote at the top, worth $23.9 billion. Discover the wealthiest individuals in Africa.

Uromi Killings: Residents Accuse Police of Extortion and Unfair Arrests

Uromi residents accuse police of extortion and wrongful arrests after 16 northern travellers are killed. Tensions rise as community seeks justice.

Independence Bridge Repairs Paralyze Lagos With Traffic Gridlock

Lagos descended into gridlock as Independence Bridge repairs and rain triggered massive traffic delays across key city routes

More like this

Gender Concerns Grow Over Tinubu’s NNPC Board with One Woman

Tinubu’s NNPC board appointment sparks gender concerns with only one woman on the list. Advocates call for better gender balance in leadership.

Aliko Dangote Tops Forbes 2025 List of Africa’s Richest People

Forbes 2025 reveals Africa’s richest people, with Aliko Dangote at the top, worth $23.9 billion. Discover the wealthiest individuals in Africa.

Uromi Killings: Residents Accuse Police of Extortion and Unfair Arrests

Uromi residents accuse police of extortion and wrongful arrests after 16 northern travellers are killed. Tensions rise as community seeks justice.