HomeNewsCourt Throws Out FG’s Evidence in Dasuki Money Laundering Case

Court Throws Out FG’s Evidence in Dasuki Money Laundering Case

Published on


Key Points


  • Court rejects FG’s evidence against Dasuki.

  • Judge warns against repeating previously rejected exhibits.

  • Defence says government must appeal, not retry in same court.


The Federal High Court in Abuja has again turned down the Federal Government’s bid to present new evidence against former National Security Adviser (NSA) Col.

Sambo Dasuki (rtd) in his ongoing money laundering trial.

Justice Peter Lifu ruled that the exhibits had already been rejected earlier in the case and could not be reintroduced.

He described the government’s move as “an invitation to judicial rascality.”

Dasuki, who served under former President Goodluck Jonathan, faces a seven-count charge of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms.

Judge says court cannot revisit rejected evidence

Justice Lifu reminded prosecutors that on July 10, 2025, the same exhibits were rejected for lack of relevance and improper foundation.

“That ruling still stands,” he said. “Reintroducing them would mean sitting on appeal over my own decision. Common sense and law do not support this request.”

He noted that the prosecution’s application tried to force the court to overturn its own judgment, which would undermine the judiciary’s integrity.

Defence opposes FG’s renewed evidence request

Lead prosecution lawyer Oladipupo Okpeseyi, SAN, urged the court to accept the exhibits and even requested that the court visit the Department of State Services (DSS) headquarters to inspect a vehicle seized from Dasuki in 2015.

Defence counsel A. A. Usman objected, reminding the court that the same materials had already been marked “rejected.” He argued that the only proper step for the prosecution was to appeal the earlier ruling.

He described the application as “baseless, ill-conceived, and a clear attempt to turn back the clock.”

Dasuki still faces separate money laundering charges

Dasuki has pleaded not guilty to all charges. The Federal Government accuses him of possessing unlicensed firearms and holding various sums — including $40,000, N5 million, and $20,000 — at his Abuja home in 2015.

He allegedly kept another $150,000 and N37.6 million at his Sokoto residence, said to be proceeds of unlawful acts.

The ruling marks another setback for the prosecution. Dasuki still faces two other money laundering cases filed by the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari at the FCT High Court.

Latest articles

Atiku says Tinubu ‘cannot govern’ as killings, abductions surge nationwide

Atiku Abubakar condemned President Tinubu over the Ogbomoso school abductions and Katsina killings, declaring that the administration "cannot govern" Nigeria.

Obi emerges sole NDC presidential aspirant for 2027 race

Peter Obi emerged as the sole NDC presidential aspirant after the party closed the sale of its 2027 nomination forms with no other buyer.

Police arrest 6 over phone tip-offs in Oyo school abduction

Oyo police arrested six suspects who allegedly informed bandits via phone calls during the Ahoro-Esiele school abduction that killed three people.

AfDB approves $200m BoI facility to boost Nigeria’s industrial sector

AfDB approved a $200 million facility for Nigeria's Bank of Industry to boost SMEs, manufacturing and green industrialization, with women-led and youth businesses prioritized.

More like this

Atiku says Tinubu ‘cannot govern’ as killings, abductions surge nationwide

Atiku Abubakar condemned President Tinubu over the Ogbomoso school abductions and Katsina killings, declaring that the administration "cannot govern" Nigeria.

Obi emerges sole NDC presidential aspirant for 2027 race

Peter Obi emerged as the sole NDC presidential aspirant after the party closed the sale of its 2027 nomination forms with no other buyer.

Police arrest 6 over phone tip-offs in Oyo school abduction

Oyo police arrested six suspects who allegedly informed bandits via phone calls during the Ahoro-Esiele school abduction that killed three people.