HomeNewsSatirical Post: Akpoti-Uduaghan Asks Court to Reject Akpabio’s Motion

Satirical Post: Akpoti-Uduaghan Asks Court to Reject Akpabio’s Motion

Published on


Key Points


  • Akpoti-Uduaghan defends her satirical apology as free speech.

  • Akpabio’s legal team seeks removal and a public apology.

  • Court set to hear both motions on May 12.


Suspended Kogi Central Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has urged a Federal High Court in Abuja to dismiss Senate President Godswill Akpabio’s request to delete a controversial Facebook post.

The post, which she called a “satirical apology,” criticized Akpabio’s leadership and alluded to misconduct in the Senate.

In a motion filed May 5, Akpabio’s lawyers accused her of violating a court order that banned public commentary on an ongoing legal dispute between the two lawmakers.

The case concerns her suspension from the Senate, following a heated February altercation.

In her counter-affidavit, Akpoti-Uduaghan defended her post as constitutionally protected free speech.

She said it was a symbolic protest against what she described as an unfair and politically motivated suspension.

Akpoti-Uduaghan’s legal team says post broke no rules

Her lead counsel, Jubril Okutepa, argued that the senator’s Facebook post did not breach the court’s gag order.

He claimed that Akpabio’s motion aimed to harass and intimidate his client for expressing her views.

“The motion is malicious and intended to scandalize me for exercising my constitutional right to free speech,” Akpoti-Uduaghan wrote in her affidavit.

The satirical apology included jabs at the Senate president, suggesting success under his leadership required submission, not merit.

The post quickly went viral, drawing mixed reactions from the public.

Akpabio’s team wants the court to order her to delete the post, issue a written apology in two national newspapers, and file an affidavit of compliance.

Court to hear both sides of satirical apology row

Justice Binta Nyako, who is presiding over the case, previously barred all parties from speaking publicly about the matter. The judge is expected to rule on both motions when the court reconvenes on May 12.

This dispute follows multiple legal battles between Akpoti-Uduaghan and Akpabio. She has sued Akpabio and his aide for ₦100 billion in defamation damages and litigation costs.

Meanwhile, Akpabio’s wife filed two separate suits, seeking ₦350 billion in damages for reputational harm.

As the legal war escalates, the senator continues to challenge her suspension and maintain that her satirical apology represents protected political speech.

Latest articles

NYSC tells corps members to save beyond allowance

NYSC chief Olakunle Nafiu has urged corps members to save and build extra income streams, warning that poor saving habits persist even on higher pay.

Tinubu says subsidy cabals want him dead

President Bola Tinubu says oil subsidy and exchange rate cabals want him dead, blaming the threat on the reforms he launched after taking office in 2023.

Gowon: Ojukwu frustrated Aburi Accord peace moves

Yakubu Gowon's new memoir accuses late Biafran leader Ojukwu of frustrating the Aburi Accord and every peace effort before Nigeria slid into civil war.

African AI adoption too slow, PwC warns

PwC warns that African AI adoption is too slow to catch the global boom, with firms investing little and few scaling the technology beyond pilots.

More like this

NYSC tells corps members to save beyond allowance

NYSC chief Olakunle Nafiu has urged corps members to save and build extra income streams, warning that poor saving habits persist even on higher pay.

Tinubu says subsidy cabals want him dead

President Bola Tinubu says oil subsidy and exchange rate cabals want him dead, blaming the threat on the reforms he launched after taking office in 2023.

Gowon: Ojukwu frustrated Aburi Accord peace moves

Yakubu Gowon's new memoir accuses late Biafran leader Ojukwu of frustrating the Aburi Accord and every peace effort before Nigeria slid into civil war.