HomePoliticsBaba-Ahmed Denies Declaring Presidential Bid

Baba-Ahmed Denies Declaring Presidential Bid

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Datti Baba-Ahmed presidency declaration reports dismissed as false.
  • Labour Party figure says he only reaffirmed party membership.
  • Any decision depends on INEC timetable and party process.

Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, the Labour Party’s 2023 vice-presidential candidate, dismissed reports that he had declared an intention to contest Nigeria’s presidency, saying commentators misread his remarks amid heightened political speculation.

Speaking on Channels Television on Friday, Baba-Ahmed said he made no declaration and blamed claims to the contrary on social media amplification rather than fact. He explained that his recent public comments focused solely on reaffirming his continued membership of the Labour Party. “I never declared to contest the presidency two days ago,” he said, stressing that no formal or informal announcement had been made.

Clarifying Datti Baba-Ahmed presidency declaration claims

Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed, the Labour Party’s 2023 vice-presidential candidate, dismissed reports that he had declared an intention to contest Nigeria’s presidency, saying commentators misread his remarks amid heightened political speculation.

“Two days ago, what I did was simply say that I remain in the Labour Party,” he said. “I never declared to contest the presidency, even though there could be a possibility of that happening.”

According to him, any move toward a presidential race would require clear procedural steps that have not yet begun. He added that speculation ignored these procedural constraints and distorted what he described as routine political engagement within the party.

Process, media and future intentions

Addressing the broader political process, Baba-Ahmed further said expressions of interest must align with INEC’s timetable and the Labour Party’s internal calls for aspirants. Until then, he said, speculation remains premature. “One will have to wait for the INEC timetable and for the party to make the call for people to indicate their interest,” he said. “I did not declare.”

He also criticised what he described as the role of social media in distorting political statements, urging established media organisations to act as filters against misinformation. Sensational reporting, he said, risks misleading the public and inflaming political tensions unnecessarily.

Baba-Ahmed’s clarification follows days of debate sparked by reports portraying him as positioning for a presidential run. While he did not rule out future political possibilities, he emphasised that no decision has been taken and that any such move would be communicated formally and transparently.

Latest articles

Vote Buying Will Not Be Allowed in FCT Elections, INEC Chairman Warns

KEY POINTS INEC says vote buying will not be tolerated in the February 21...

JAMB Fixes Final Deadline as Over 1.5 Million Register for 2026 UTME

KEY POINTS JAMB says registration for the 2026 UTME will close February 26 with...

Police Lock Down Abuja for FCT Elections With Citywide Movement Ban

KEY POINTS Police have deployed massive security across Abuja ahead of the February 21...

Aiyedatiwa Denies Role in APC Secretariat Attack

KEY POINTS Governor Aiyedatiwa denied ordering an attack on APC leaders, saying he was...

More like this

Vote Buying Will Not Be Allowed in FCT Elections, INEC Chairman Warns

KEY POINTS INEC says vote buying will not be tolerated in the February 21...

JAMB Fixes Final Deadline as Over 1.5 Million Register for 2026 UTME

KEY POINTS JAMB says registration for the 2026 UTME will close February 26 with...

Police Lock Down Abuja for FCT Elections With Citywide Movement Ban

KEY POINTS Police have deployed massive security across Abuja ahead of the February 21...