HomeNews83 Nigerians to Return Home from South Africa Amid Rising Xenophobic Attacks

83 Nigerians to Return Home from South Africa Amid Rising Xenophobic Attacks

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • 83 Nigerians are expected to arrive in Lagos from South Africa on Wednesday night.
  • Private individuals paid for the return tickets, not the Federal Government.
  • The repatriation comes amid rising xenophobic concerns and a September 30 deadline for undocumented migrants.

A total of 83 Nigerians stranded or seeking to return from South Africa are expected to arrive in Lagos on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, as the Federal Government and private individuals continue efforts to assist Nigerians affected by growing concerns over attacks and hostility against foreign nationals in the country.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the returnees are scheduled to arrive at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, at about 8:45pm aboard a South African Airways flight.

The latest repatriation exercise comes only a few weeks after the Federal Government concluded an earlier evacuation of Nigerians from South Africa.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the latest exercise is not being financed by the Nigerian government.

Instead, private individuals and sponsors provided the funds required to purchase the return tickets for the 83 Nigerians.

Foreign Affairs spokesperson Kimiebi Ebienfa said the intervention demonstrated the importance of cooperation between government institutions, private citizens and other stakeholders in protecting Nigerians living or stranded abroad.

The ministry expressed appreciation to the sponsors, describing their intervention as an example of the “whole of society approach” being promoted by the government.

According to the ministry, the financial assistance has helped ease the difficulties faced by Nigerians who wanted to leave South Africa but lacked the resources to pay for their return journeys.

Nigerian High Commission Reopens Registration

The latest return exercise follows the reopening of registration by the Nigerian High Commission in South Africa for another repatriation programme.

Acting High Commissioner to South Africa, Alexander Ajayi, said the mission had been collecting the names and details of Nigerians interested in returning home.

Ajayi explained that the process would be activated once arrangements were concluded with partners willing to sponsor the return fares.

Registration for the exercise remained open until August 12, allowing Nigerians who wanted to return to submit their details for consideration.

The new group of returnees is therefore part of a broader effort by Nigerian authorities and private partners to assist citizens who may feel vulnerable or unable to remain in South Africa.

The development comes against the backdrop of renewed concerns over xenophobic attacks and anti-immigrant sentiment in South Africa.

Nigerian authorities have continued to monitor developments affecting Nigerian citizens in the country, particularly amid reports and campaigns targeting undocumented migrants and other foreign nationals.

The situation has raised concerns among some Nigerians who fear possible attacks, harassment or forced displacement.

Latest articles

Influencer Arrested Over Alleged $28m Cocaine Shipment Bound for UK

KEY POINTS NDLEA seized 184.5kg of cocaine valued at nearly $28m. Influencer “KC Luxury”...

Wike Orders Demolition of Houses Blocking Abuja Waterways

K KEY POINTS Wike orders immediate demolition of houses blocking Abuja waterways. Buildings in Maitama...

US lists three categories of visa services affected in Nigeria

The US has realigned routine visa services in Abuja to regional hubs, affecting tourist, business and petition-based nonimmigrant visa applications from August 1.

Edo Assembly Gets New Speaker as Idiaye Replaces Agbebaku

KEY POINTS Yekini Idiaye has emerged as the new Edo Assembly Speaker. Blessing Agbebaku...

More like this

Influencer Arrested Over Alleged $28m Cocaine Shipment Bound for UK

KEY POINTS NDLEA seized 184.5kg of cocaine valued at nearly $28m. Influencer “KC Luxury”...

Wike Orders Demolition of Houses Blocking Abuja Waterways

K KEY POINTS Wike orders immediate demolition of houses blocking Abuja waterways. Buildings in Maitama...

US lists three categories of visa services affected in Nigeria

The US has realigned routine visa services in Abuja to regional hubs, affecting tourist, business and petition-based nonimmigrant visa applications from August 1.