HomeNewsThree Suspects Appear in Court Over Killing of Nigerian Student and Driver...

Three Suspects Appear in Court Over Killing of Nigerian Student and Driver Isaac Satlat

Published on


KEY POINTS


  • Three suspects have appeared in court charged with murdering Nigerian student and driver Isaac Satlat.

  • Investigators say dashcam footage of the assault helped police identify and arrest them.

  • A fourth suspect is still on the run as authorities continue their search.


Three individuals accused of murdering 22-year-old Nigerian student and e-hailing driver Isaac Satlat have made their first court appearance following their arrest in South Africa.

The suspects, identified as Dikeledi Mphela, Goitsione Machidi, and McClaren Mushwana, appeared before a magistrate in Pretoria on Monday. They are facing charges of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, car hijacking, and related offences linked to Satlat’s killing.

The accused, who were arrested last week, were brought into court under heavy security and reportedly did not apply for bail. Video footage from inside the courtroom showed them entering for proceedings, marking their first public appearance since being taken into custody.

Police confirmed that one of the suspects, a 25-year-old woman, was arrested on February 13, while the two male suspects, aged 26 and 30, were apprehended over the weekend.

How police tracked the suspects

Authorities said the attack took place on February 11, 2026, in Pretoria West after Satlat accepted a ride request. Dashcam footage allegedly captured two passengers — initially described as a man and woman — strangling and assaulting him inside his vehicle.

Investigators reported that the viral video evidence played a critical role in identifying and tracking the suspects. Later that same day, Satlat’s body and his stolen vehicle were discovered dumped in Atteridgeville.

Police say a fourth suspect linked to the killing remains at large and a manhunt is ongoing. Authorities have not disclosed further details about the fugitive but confirmed efforts are underway to locate and arrest the individual.

The case has drawn public attention and renewed concern over attacks involving ride-hailing drivers and foreign nationals in South Africa.

Latest articles

Senate Directs North Central Commission to Focus Spending on Agriculture and Security

KEY POINTS The Senate has told the North Central Development Commission to prioritise agriculture...

Security Forces Destroy Three Bandit Camps in Kogi

KEY POINTS Joint security forces destroyed three bandit camps in Kogi allegedly linked to...

ADC Criticises Umahi for Predicting Overwhelming South-East Support for Tinubu in 2027

KEY POINTS ADC has criticised Dave Umahi for claiming Tinubu would receive 90 percent...

CAN Opposes Niger Hisbah Bill, Urges Governor Bago to Withhold Assent

KEY POINTS CAN has rejected the proposed Niger Hisbah Bill, warning it could cause...

More like this

Senate Directs North Central Commission to Focus Spending on Agriculture and Security

KEY POINTS The Senate has told the North Central Development Commission to prioritise agriculture...

Security Forces Destroy Three Bandit Camps in Kogi

KEY POINTS Joint security forces destroyed three bandit camps in Kogi allegedly linked to...

ADC Criticises Umahi for Predicting Overwhelming South-East Support for Tinubu in 2027

KEY POINTS ADC has criticised Dave Umahi for claiming Tinubu would receive 90 percent...